Founded in 1993 to serve Atlanta’s gay & lesbian community, Outwrite Bookstore & Coffeehouse is struggling to keep things going and has issued a plea for support. An email to their customers was sent out expressing concern over the store’s future on Wednesday afternoon. Outwite is located just a few short blocks from GayPornGossip’s Headquarters at the corner of Piedmont & Tenth Street in Midtown, Atlanta.
Outwrite is the most visible GLBT landmark in the city and one of the largest remaining independent bookstores of any kind in the Southeastern United States. More than a bookstore or a coffeehouse, Outwrite serves as a welcoming space for local residents and travelers and is an “unofficial community center”; by helping people come out, network and yes connect socially.
In the email sent Wednesday, Outwrite’s Philip Rafshoon stated –
Bookstores are closing at an unprecedented rate and Outwrite is now one of less than a handful of LGBT bookstores left in the country.
Although our doors are still open, our sales have not been immune to the downturn in the economy and the impact technology has on how people buy and read books.
Here’s what you can do:
- Buy as many of your books, CDs and DVDs from Outwrite as possible. We can order anything that is in print and we offer a great collection of gifts and jewelry.
- When you shop on-line, go to www.outwritebooks.com to purchase all of your books and eBooks.
- When you’re heading to a coffeehouse, come to Outwrite: We have great coffees, specialty drinks, teas, sandwiches, snacks, iced drinks, and sweets.
- Reserve Outwrite’s coffeehouse lounge for your company, business, or organization meeting. Our new community table is ideal for meetings. Just call or email us and we will be happy to reserve it for you at no additional cost, and we will have your drinks and catering ready when you arrive.
- Volunteer your skills so we can reduce our operating costs. Please let us know if you are willing to share your expertise in web design, bookkeeping, finance, banking, retail management, retail sales, collections and legal services.
- Stop by and share your ideas with us. To serve you better, we want to know what you need.
GayPornGossip and myself personally agree that Outwrite is far more than “just another business” and Atlanta’s GLBT community must ante up and help out even if it isn’t nothing more than passing the word along to your friends and associates that Outwrite needs your partonage and Follow Outwrite on Twitter and Outwrite on Facebook and spread the word there!
Cobra Killer: Gay Porn, Murder, and the Manhunt to Bring the Killers to Justice
By Peter A. Conway and Andrew E. Stoner
Porn from Andy Warhol to X-Tube
By Kevin Clarke
Dorm Porn: Raunchy Tales of Boys on Campus
By Sean Fisher